Kyra D. Storojev
Mental health is one of cornerstones of my platform of Common Sense for the Common Good. Growing up my mother suffered from depression episodes where she would stay in her room for days and I had to help take care of her, so I understand firsthand what it can look like. Underlying reasons for depression are the key to unlocking a person from this. I didn’t know as a child, but now I understand that we need programs that address those issues and they start from early childhood on.
Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among young people ages 10 to 24, adults alike suffer from mental health issues and they need to be addressed. Here are potential ideas I propose:
- Ensure every school has a counselor on staff or accessible.
- Reinvigorate our arts, PE and music programs in schools (studies show these programs significantly increase happiness and reduce depression)
- Provide mental health support for all people to be covered by health insurance
- De-stigmatize what mental health/depression issues mean through education
- Encourage healthy eating programs statewide to increase overall well-being
- Increase promotion of Safe2Tell program so everyone knows that can call 24/7 for help
- And support for women after birth that is linked to chemical, social, and psychological changes associated with having a baby
I believe mental health care is most effective when approached as a whole person approach. Find out more and help me win by going to: www.kyra4colorado.com