Mike Weissman (D)

Click here for more information on the candidate.

Do you support school policies and funding that increase the availability of mental health services in schools and early childhood settings?
  • Yes: Mental health needs are at risk of going under-diagnosed and under-treated in school. This is an example of a little prevention is worth a lot of cure.
Do you support additional funding for follow-up care for individuals after a suicide attempt or overdose?
  • Yes
Do you support extreme risk protection orders?
  • Yes: I supported HB18-1436 in judiciary committee and on the House floor.
Do you support strengthening laws and transparency requirements compelling insurance companies to provide coverage for the treatment of mental health and substance use disorders that is equal to the coverage provided for a physical illness?
  • Yes
Do you support strengthening requirements that insurance companies have enough mental health and substance use professionals to guarantee their members have a choice of provider?
  • Yes
Do you support requirements that hospitals and other providers report information on treatment availability to help individuals, hospitals and law enforcement locate available treatment for people in crisis?
  • Yes: Better information – kept up to date timely – seems like a smart way to try to take a systems-level approach.
Do you support providing state funds to expand capacity for mental health and substance use treatment in underserved areas of the state?
  • Yes: I also supported HB18-1136 as a way to try to improve draw-down of federal matching funds to address these issues in Colorado.
Do you support additional state investments in affordable housing with supportive services for people with mental health or substance use disorders?
  • Yes: I sponsored the 2018 budget amendment to allow the Division of Housing to access $4.7 in funding for transition housing. I have also supported a local permanent supportive housing project in Aurora, which just this week gained necessary zoning permission from the city council.