Marshall Fire Resources

Dear Friends of Mental Health Colorado, 

The past week has been a stressful, devastating, and traumatizing time for too many of our neighbors due to the Marshall Fire in Boulder County. This terrible fire, the most destructive in our state’s history, left thousands scrambling to evacuate their homes with little more than the clothes on their backs and hopefully their beloved family members and pets. Some of those evacuees have been able to return to undamaged homes, but far too many lost everything. We offer our sincerest condolences to all who have been impacted.  

While the initial focus of recovery efforts is to ensure people’s basic needs are met, we know that this devastation will have both and immediate and long-term mental health effects on communities. The fear, uncertainty, and loss resulting from this fire will leave many in need of mental health support.  

Below is a list of resources if you or someone you know is struggling as result of the Marshall Fire, or if you are looking for ways to be helpful. 

Ways to Help



For Animals: 

Mental Health Resources

Local Mental Health Resources: 

  • Mental Health Colorado – Take a Screening: ( 
  • JFS Boulder County Crisis fund:
    • In response to multiple tragic events over the last year, Jewish Family Service and Community Foundation Boulder County have partnered to offer counseling services to Boulder County residents. The program offers up to $500 towards five individual counseling sessions (a maximum of $100 per session), or up to $875 towards five family counseling sessions (a maximum of $175 per session) and provides a pool of licensed providers from which to choose.
  • Mile High Behavioral Healthcare  
  • Colorado Crisis Services: or 1-844-493-8255 or Text “TALK” to 38255. 
  • Boulder Valley School District’s Trauma Support Team has been activated and will be working to offer support to students virtually in the coming days. If you know of a student who needs support during this difficult time, please let them know through this Google Form. 
  • Mental Health Partners: or 303-443-8500. 
  • Boulder Office of Emergency Management ( 
    • What: Boulder County Disaster Assistance Center for people who lost homes in or were displaced by the Marshall Fire  
    • When: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., seven days a week  
    • Where: Boulder County Southeast Hub, 1755 South Public Road, Lafayette, CO   
    • Help Available: For people who lost homes in or were displaced by the Marshall Fire, the Boulder County Disaster Assistance Center will provide services including:   
      • Consultation on property loss and filing claims for assistance   
      • Gift cards for replacement of food and transportation costs   
      • Information about short- and long-term housing   
      • Help with vital records   
      • Referrals to emergency shelter   
      • Food assistance 
      • Mental health services   
      • COVID-19 tests   
      • Transportation vouchers   
      • Referrals for personal finance planning 
  • Links for Provider Networks (Rocky Mountain Health Plan):

Resources for Kids:

Resources for Firefighters:

National Resources:

  • Disaster Distress Helpline: The Disaster Distress Helpline, 1-800-985-5990, is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster.  
    • This toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all residents in the United States and its territories. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after a disaster. 
  • Victim Advocate Line – 303-441-3856
  • Disability and Disaster Hotline – 1-800-626-4959 (call/text)  
  • Mental Health Partners – 303-443-8500 
  • National Helpline – 1-800-662-HELP  
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1-800-273-8255 

Guides for Coping:

Logistical Resources

Applying for FEMA Assistance: 

  • Colorado encourages all individuals impacted by the Marshall Fire to apply for FEMA’s  Individual Assistance Program. Individuals should first call their insurance agents and then apply for federal assistance. Apply for FEMA assistance online or by calling 1-800-621- 3362. If you use a relay service, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA the number for that service. If you do not have rental or home insurance, please apply for FEMA assistance. 

Applying for U.S. Small Business Administration Assistance (SBA): 

  • Federal assistance is available from the SBA to businesses of all sizes and private nonprofit organizations may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets. SBA can also lend additional funds to businesses and homeowners to help with the cost of improvements to protect, prevent or minimize the same type of disaster damage from occurring in the future. 
  • Interest rates can be as low as 2.83 percent for businesses, 1.875 percent for private nonprofit organizations and 1.438 percent for homeowners and renters with terms up to 30 years. Loan amounts and terms are set by SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial condition. 
  • To be considered for SBA assistance and all forms of federal disaster assistance, survivors must first contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency at Additional information and details are available by calling the SBA Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955.

Insurance Information:

  • If you have been displaced by the fires, contact your insurance agent or company immediately to let them know where you are staying. Not only can they help you with coverage or claims questions, but they can also help find lodging options as many people in the area will be temporarily displaced. 
  • To find the contact information of your homeowners or auto insurance company go to Insurance Company Claims Filing Telephone Numbers 
  • Save all receipts for living expenses if you’ve been evacuated or displaced by the fire, as homeowners or renters in these situations typically have insurance coverage for additional living expenses (ALE) which provides them with an amount of out-of-pocket money while evacuated. Check with your insurance company or agent about your coverage. If you are unable to live in your house or apartment because of the fire, most policies will also reimburse you the difference between your additional living expenses and your normal living expenses. Again, check with your insurance company or agent about your coverage. 
  • Start the claim process as soon as you can. For your home, any out buildings and vehicles, you’ll want to contact your insurance company or agent right away to begin the claim process. However, these fires were devastating, and many people have been significantly impacted, so the insurance process will take time.  
  • If possible, and only if it is safe to do so, try to document any damage by taking photos.  
  • If your home survived the fires, it may still have experienced damage from smoke or water, or to the electrical systems or other damage due to the extreme heat or the snow and cold. As with direct fire damage, contact your insurance company or agent as soon as possible to start the claims process.  
  • If you have questions about insurance, contact the Division of Insurance. The Division’s Consumer Services Team will staff the phones and answer emails from 8 a.m – 5 p.m., including this weekend and next weekend. While claims need to be filed with the insurance companies, the Division can assist consumers with questions about insurance and the claims process. Contact the Consumer Service Team at 303-894-7490 / 800-930-3745 (outside of the Denver metro area) / or visit our website, (click on “File a Complaint”).  
  • Renters should contact their renters’ insurance. If you do not have rental insurance, please apply for FEMA assistance. 

En Español:

  • The office of Governor Jared Polis Recursos para los residentes de Colorado afectados por el incendio Marshall.pdf    
  • Recursos de Salud Mental  
    • Comuníquese con Colorado Crisis Services al 1 (844) 493-8255, o envíe un mensaje de texto con la palabra “TALK” al 38255, para hablar con un consejero profesional sobre cualquier área en la que pueda necesitar apoyo para usted o un ser querido, desde la soledad y el aislamiento hasta el estrés, problemas de relación, uso de sustancias y otras preocupaciones comunes. 
    • Asesoramiento en caso de crisis de JFS Boulder County: En respuesta a múltiples eventos trágicos durante el último año, Jewish Family Service y Fundación Comunitaria  Boulder County se han asociado para ofrecer servicios de terapia a los residentes del condado de Boulder. El programa ofrece hasta $500 para cinco sesiones de terapia individual (un máximo de $100 por sesión), o hasta $875 para cinco sesiones de terapia familiar (un máximo de $175 por sesión) y proporciona un grupo de proveedores con licencia entre los que elegir. 
    • I Matter: 3 sesiones gratuitas de salud mental para cualquier joven del estado, en gran parte disponibles a través de telesalud. 
    • Socios de salud mental: Llame al (303) 443-8500. Los servicios ambulatorios de MHP están cerrados el lunes 3 de enero y volverán a abrir a las 8 a.m. el martes 4 de enero. 
    • Línea Nacional de Ayuda para Desastres: Llame al (800) 985-5990 
    • Apoyo disponible en cada uno de los refugios de evacuación 
  • Solicitud de asistencia de FEMA 
    • Colorado recomienda  a todas las personas afectadas por el incendio Marshall a solicitar el Programa de Asistencia Individual de FEMA. Las personas deben llamar primero a sus agentes de seguros y luego solicitar asistencia federal. Solicite asistencia de FEMA en línea o llamando al 1-800-621- 3362. Si usa un servicio de retransmisión, como el servicio de retransmisión de video (VRS), servicio telefónico con subtítulos u otros, proporcione a FEMA el número de ese servicio. Si no tiene seguro de vivienda o de alquiler, solicite la asistencia de FEMA. 
  • Solicitud de asistencia para la administración de pequeñas empresas de EE. UU. (SBA)  
    • La SBA ofrece asistencia federal a empresas de todos los tamaños y las organizaciones privadas sin fines de lucro pueden pedir prestado de hasta $2 millones para reparar o reemplazar bienes raíces, maquinaria y equipo, inventario y otros activos comerciales dañados o destruidos. La SBA también puede prestar fondos adicionales a empresas y propietarios de viviendas para ayudar con el costo de las mejoras para proteger, prevenir o minimizar el mismo tipo de daño por desastre que ocurra en el futuro. 
    • Las tasas de interés pueden ser tan bajas como el 2,83 por ciento para las empresas, el 1,875 por ciento para las organizaciones privadas sin fines de lucro y el 1,438 por ciento para los propietarios e inquilinos con plazos de hasta 30 años. Los montos y términos de los préstamos los establece la SBA y se basan en la situación financiera de cada solicitante. 
    • Para ser considerado para la asistencia de la SBA y todas las formas de asistencia federal por desastre, los sobrevivientes primero deben comunicarse con la Agencia Federal para el Manejo de Emergencias en Información y detalles adicionales están disponibles llamando al Centro de Servicio al Cliente de la SBA al 1-800-621-3362 
  • Información del seguro  
    • Si ha sido desplazado por los incendios, comuníquese con su agente o compañía de seguros de inmediato para informarles dónde se hospeda. No solo pueden ayudarle con preguntas sobre cobertura o reclamos, sino que también pueden ayudarlo a encontrar opciones de alojamiento, ya que muchas personas en el área serán desplazadas temporalmente. 
    • Para encontrar la información de su compañía de seguro de viviendas o de automóviles, vaya a Números de teléfono para la presentación de reclamaciones de las compañías de seguros 
    • Guarde todos los recibos de gastos si ha sido evacuado o desplazado por el incendio, ya que los propietarios o inquilinos en estas situaciones suelen tener cobertura de seguro para gastos de subsistencia adicionales (ALE) que les proporciona una cantidad de dinero mientras sea evacuado. Consulte con su compañía de seguros o agente sobre su cobertura. Si no puede vivir en su casa o apartamento debido al incendio, la mayoría de las pólizas también le reembolsarán la diferencia entre sus gastos de subsistencia adicionales y sus gastos de subsistencia normales. Nuevamente, consulte con su compañía de seguros o agente sobre su cobertura. 
    • Inicie el proceso de reclamación tan pronto como pueda. Para su hogar, cualquier edificio y vehículo, querrá comunicarse con su compañía de seguros o agente de inmediato para comenzar el proceso de reclamo. Sin embargo, estos incendios fueron devastadores y muchas personas se han visto afectadas significativamente, por lo que el proceso de seguro llevará tiempo. 
    • Si es posible, y solo si es seguro hacerlo, intente documentar cualquier daño tomando fotos. 
    • Si su casa sobrevivió a los incendios, es posible que aún haya sufrido daños por humo o agua, o en los sistemas eléctricos u otros daños debido al calor extremo o la nieve y el frío. Al igual que con el daño directo por incendio, comuníquese con su compañía de seguros o agente lo antes posible para comenzar el proceso de reclamo. 
    • Si tiene preguntas sobre seguros, comuníquese con la División de Seguros. El Equipo de Servicios al Consumidor de la División atenderá los teléfonos y responderá los correos electrónicos de 8 a. M. A 5 p. M., incluyendo este fin de semana y el próximo. Si bien las reclamaciones deben presentarse ante las compañías de seguros, la División puede ayudar a los consumidores con preguntas sobre seguros y el proceso de reclamaciones. Comuníquese con el Equipo de Servicio al Consumidor al 303-894-7490 / 800-930-3745 (fuera del área metropolitana de Denver) / o visite nuestro sitio web, (haga clic en “Presentar una queja ”). 
    • Los inquilinos deben comunicarse con el seguro de inquilinos. Si no tiene seguro de alquiler, solicite la asistencia de FEMA.